How to File a Claim for Pothole Damage

Step No. 1 is to fill out a claim form with the city

You probably know the feeling -- the bone jarring slam as your car plunges into a pothole.

Before you even stop wincing you are probably trying to figure out how badly your car was damaged.

It all happened on a city street, and in some cases, the city may actually reimburse you for the cost to repair your car. But be forewarned, the road to receiving that reimbursement check might be rockier than the street that put your car in the repair shop.

Step No. 1 is to fill out a claim form. Click here to begin the process, then mail the document to:

Office of the City Clerk
200 North Spring St.
Room 395, City Hall
Los Angeles, CA  90012

The office will accept originals only. Don’t try to fax it or mail in a copy.

You can also deliver it in person to that same address anytime between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. The phone number is 213-978-1133.

And, make sure you keep a copy of your claim for your own records.

Contact Us