File a Claim If You Feel Edison's to Blame

If SCE accepts liability, you could get reimbursed for documented losses

Insurance should cover most losses related to the recent winter storm that left thousands without power, but for Southern California Edison customers who feel the utility is to blame, there is formal process that could recover some of those expenses, including money for the loss of food due to refrigerators left in the dark.

In the hardest hit areas, such as Altadena, the power was out to most residents for at least four days.

"It was the most significant power event in the last decade," said SCE spokesman Gil Alexander.

SCE notes that many times, damages are covered by a home owner's or business insurance policy. But, if you feel SCE is responsible for some of your losses, you can file a claim. The forms are on Edison's website.

For fridges and freezers left in the dark, "Southern California Edison Company evaluates food loss claims based upon the following recommended guidelines from the U.S. Department of Agriculture:

  • "A fully stocked freezer will usually keep food frozen for two days after losing power.
  • "A half-full freezer will usually keep food frozen about one day.
  • "In the refrigerator, food will usually keep up to six hours, depending on the temperature of the room."

SCE has to evaluate and investigate each claim and then determine how to resolve it.

"If SCE accepts liability for a property damage claim, we will reimburse you for either the repair cost, replacement cost or the actual cash value, whichever is less," according to SCE.

To file a claim, you have a few options:

  • Download a claim form (PDF or Microsoft Word format) and send it to SCE.
    • Via mail:
      • Southern California Edison Company
        Attention: Claims Department
        P.O. Box 900
        Rosemead, CA 91770
    • ...or via fax to the SCE Claims Department at 626-569-2573
  • Download a claim form and email it to
  • File the claim online using the SCE website.
  • Call a claims department representative at 1-800-251-3311.

SCE representatives respond to each claim within three to five business days, although that can vary during times of high volume, according to the utility.

Follow NBCLA for the latest LA news, events and entertainment: Twitter: @NBCLA // Facebook: NBCLA

Contact Us