Man Shot and Killed in Tense Downtown LA Hostage Situation in Apartment Captured on Camera

LAPD later tweeted that the man was shot and killed when SWAT officers entered the apartment where he had been holding a gun to a woman's head.

NBC Universal, Inc.

An intense hostage situation in a downtown Los Angeles apartment complex came to an end Friday night after SWAT entered the apartment and the man was shot and killed, following frightening bystander video showing the man hold a gun to a woman's head.

The situation began when an armed man pointed a gun at a person walking by on the street and fired, but the weapon did not go off, police said.

The man then proceeded to try and rob a family inside a business, shooting at them and injuring a 14-year-old-boy, police said.

Later at the intersection of Main and 6th Street, the man allegedly took at least one person hostage in a barricaded situation that ended in gunfire.

The Los Angeles Police Department responded to the scene at around 4:10 p.m. at the 500 block of South Main Street to reports of a shooting. 

Detectives say the man somehow got into the Santa Fe lofts, barricading himself and taking in hostages.

Chilling cellphone video obtained by NBC4 shot from directly across Main Street shows a man pacing back and forth inside an apartment. 


Get Los Angeles's latest local news on crime, entertainment, weather, schools, COVID, cost of living and more. Here's your go-to source for today's LA news.

$20K Offered to Help Solve Slaying of Ex-NBA Player's Dad in Compton

As LAUSD Workers Strike, Here's What Happened in 2019's Walkout

At first it appears he’s by himself but then he is seen holding a woman hostage, pointing a weapon at the back of her head. 

The flash bang from SWAT on the other side of the door was heard from blocks away. Then a second flash bang is heard, followed by gunshots.

The LAPD tweeted that once SWAT entered the apartment, the man was shot and killed. The department did not specify if officers shot him, or if the man shot himself.

Detectives say the first call of trouble came out as an assault with a deadly weapon, what followed was a series of violent incidents ending with an intense barricade.

The woman who was held hostage as well as the 14-year-old boy are expected to be OK.

Contact Us