City News Service

Three Found Dead of Possible Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Three people found dead inside a Long Beach apartment may have been overcome by carbon monoxide fumes, authorities said Tuesday.

The bodies were discovered about 7 p.m. Monday by police officers conducting a "welfare check" on people living in the apartment in the 1100 block of Gardena Avenue, said coroner's Assistant Chief Ed Winter.

The bodies were in a state of decomposition, Winter said, and the deaths are being investigated as an accident.

Apartment manager Dioser Quintero said she rented the unit earlier this month to a couple.

Quintero described the unit as a studio apartment with built-in heating. She said no one had seen the man or the woman for several days.

Their cars were getting ticketed on the street, and then people started noticing a smell.

"At first everybody thought it was a dead cat or dead animal in the apartment, but it turned out it was dead bodies," neighbor Edgar Lopez said.

Local

Get Los Angeles's latest local news on crime, entertainment, weather, schools, COVID, cost of living and more. Here's your go-to source for today's LA news.

Caleb Williams Does it All as No. 6 USC Beats Arizona St. 42-25

Dodgers Rally to Beat Rockies 6-4, 1st NL Team to 110 Wins Since 1909

Long Beach police said it looks like the occupants were using a propane heater for warmth, even though they're not designed for indoor heating. Officer Nancy Pratt said it appears the three people died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

"My mom takes a look like where the window is, and that's when she found a body laying down in the kitchen," Quintero said.

The victims are a man in his 50s, a woman in her 30s and another man whose age is unknown. Their names were not released.

City News Service contributed to this report.

Copyright CNS - City News Service
Contact Us