UPDATE, Aug. 2, 2013: The condition of an 8-year-old boy who nearly drowned in a washer was downgraded Friday from critical but stable, to critical and grave, according to Sgt. Brian Hudson with the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Special Victims Bureau.
An 8-year-old Southern California boy was still in the hospital Thursday after nearly drowning inside a washing machine, authorities said.
Local news from across Southern California
Emergency responders arrived at a Castaic home Wednesday evening to find a boy on the ground, next to a washing machine with his father at his side, according to Sgt. Brian Hudson with the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Special Victims Bureau.
The boy’s father told investigators he was outside working in the yard and went inside to check on his son. When the father entered the laundry room, he saw the boy’s feet and legs sticking out of the washing machine, his face submerged in water, Hudson said.
The incident is still under investigation, but authorities do not believe the parents will face charges.
"It appears this is nothing more than tragic accident, but again, this is still under investigation," Hudson said.
Authorities are warning parents to always watch their children, especially if the children have access to potentially dangerous equipment.
"Any time a child is using a household appliance, such as a washing machine, microwave or clothing iron, the child needs to be supervised," Hudson said.
The boy was in critical condition Thursday, officials said.