What to Know
- Street closures will be in effect Thursday and Friday.
- Parking might be scary -- plan ahead.
- It's best to leave the kids at home for this one.
Costumed revelers will again take over Santa Monica Boulevard in West Hollywood Thursday night as the city hosts it annual Halloween Carnaval, famed for its often-outlandish costumes and throngs of attendees.
The event, billed as the largest Halloween party in the world, will take place from 6 to 11 p.m. on Santa Monica Boulevard between Doheny Drive and La Cienega Boulevard.
[NATL] Top Entertainment Photos: Best of the American Music Awards, and More
The Carnaval began in 1987 and has grown annually, evolving into a California and national phenomenon.
"It's always one of the most exciting events of the year,'' Mayor John D'Amico said. "Each year, tens of thousands of people craft the most amazing costumes imaginable. Come in a costume and stay for the music, the creativity and the camaraderie.''
D'Amico and other City Council members will take part in a celebratory program at 9 p.m. at Santa Monica and San Vicente boulevards.
Get Los Angeles's latest local news on crime, entertainment, weather, schools, COVID, cost of living and more. Here's your go-to source for today's LA news.
As usual, strict rules will be enforced during the event. No alcohol or public drinking is permitted along city streets, and no backpacks, camera cases or other bags will be allowed, although clear plastic bags will be permitted. Weapons and fireworks are also banned, and kids and pets are "strongly discouraged.''
To accommodate the event, multiple streets will be closed in the area throughout the day, meaning headaches for commuters in the area. According to the city, the following streets will be blocked:
- San Vicente Boulevard between Santa Monica Boulevard and Melrose
- Avenue will be closed all day Thursday, through 7 a.m. Friday
- Santa Monica Boulevard between La Cienega Boulevard and Holloway
- Drive/Croft Avenue will be closed from 6 a.m. Thursday through 6 a.m. Friday
- Santa Monica between Doheny Drive and La Cienega, and all side
- streets in the area, will be closed from 10 a.m. Thursday through 6 a.m. Friday
- La Cienega between Holloway and Melrose will be closed from 4 p.m. Thursday through 6 a.m. Friday.
The dog parks at West Hollywood Park will also be closed all day Thursday, reopening at 6 a.m. Friday.
The city will suspend permit parking restrictions from 11 a.m. Thursday through noon Friday, and parking meters will not be enforced between 6 p.m. Thursday and 2 a.m. Friday. City officials warned people to be aware of where they are parking because meters will be enforced in neighboring Los Angeles and Beverly Hills. See more parking information here.