What to Know
- The first city resident in Long Beach since 2015 has a confirmed case of measles.
- The latest case is an adult who is at home and resting - this is the eighth confirmed case in Los Angeles County this year.
- Symptoms of measles include fever, rash, coughing and red, watery eyes. Measles is highly contagious and those infected should stay home.
Long Beach health officials announced the first confirmed case of measles in a city resident since 2015, and the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health announced Saturday that it is investigating an eighth confirmed case of measles in an LA County resident, along with an additional non-resident who traveled throughout Southern California.
Measles is a highly contagious and potentially severe disease that causes fever, rash, cough and red, watery eyes. Measles spreads very easily by air and by direct contact with an infected person. People who become infected are contagious before they have symptoms and know they are infected.
Health officials also say to self-monitor for illness with fever and/or an unexplained rash from 7 days to 21 days after exposure. If symptoms develop, stay at home and call a health care provider immediately.
"The best way to protect yourself from measles is to get vaccinated. All children and non-immune adults should be vaccinated against measles," Long Beach Health Officer Anissa Davis said. "If you are unsure of your vaccination status, contact your provider to make sure you are up-to-date."
Public health officials confirmed a case of measles in an LA County resident and an additional non-resident that traveled across Southern California Saturday.
People who may have been at the following locations at the times listed below may be at risk of developing measles up to 21 days after being exposed, health officials said:
- 4/30/2019: Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) Terminal 2 - 7:45 PM to 11:45 PM
- 5/1/2019: LAX Terminal 2 - 7:10 AM to 9:30 AM
- 4/30/2019 and 5/1/2019: LAX Employee Shuttle N/A 7:30 PM to 9:30 PM on 4-30 and 9:30 AM to 11:30 AM on 5-1
- 4/27/2019 and 4/28/2019: Farmer's Daughter Hotel 115 S Fairfax Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90036 - All day on 4-27 through 10:00 AM on 4-28
- 4/27/2019: Peet’s Coffee, (3rd & Fairfax) 175 S Fairfax Ave Unit D, Los Angeles, CA 90036 - 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
- 4/27/2019: Fratelli’s Café, 7200 Melrose Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90046 - 11:00 AM - 3:00 PM
- 4/27/2019: TART Restaurant (located in Farmer’s Daughter Hotel) 115 S Fairfax Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90036 - 5:00 PM - 8:00 PM
- 4/27/2019: The Grove 189 The Grove Dr, Los Angeles, CA 90036 - 2:00 PM-5:30 PM
- 4/27/2019: J.Crew and Barnes and Noble (located at The Grove) 189 The Grove Dr, Los Angeles, CA 90036 - 3:30 PM - 5:30 PM
- 4/27/2019: Los Angeles Farmer’s Market 6333 W 3rd St, Los Angeles, CA 90036 - 3:30 PM - 5:30 PM
- 4/27/2019: Paper Source (3rd & Fairfax, Los Angeles) 175 S Fairfax Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90048 - 4:00PM-6:00 PM
- 4/27/2019: Whole Food’s (Fairfax) 6350 W 3rd St, Los Angeles, CA 90036 - 8:00 PM-11:00 PM
- 4/27/2019: La Brea Tarpits 5801 Wilshire Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90036 - 7:00 PM-9:30 PM
LA County health officials were referring to this latest case as the eighth confirmed case of measles involving residents in 2019, while there are six non-resident measles' cases of people that have traveled to LA County, the Department of Public Health said.
Top news of the day
The latest case is an adult and is recovering at home, according to the Long Beach Department of Health and Human Services.
Orange County officials reported their second case on Saturday, as well.
In the Long Beach case, officials said they are "working with the neighboring health jurisdictions of Orange County and Los Angeles County to identify and notify residents of locations the infected individual visited while contagious. Health Department staff are notifying locations in Long Beach the person visited while contagious."
Individuals who visited the following Long Beach locations at the times stated below might have been exposed to measles:
- 4/28/2019: Pizzanista, 1837 E 7th St., 5:30-7 p.m.
- 4/28/2019: Total Wine, 7400 Carson Blvd., 6-7:30 p.m.
- 4/30/2019: Susan European Dressmaker, 3319 E 7th St., 5-7 p.m.
- 5/1/2019: Art du Vin Wine Bar, 2027 E 4th St., 8-10 p.m.
- 5/1/2019: Ralph's, 2930 E 4th St., 2-5 p.m.
- 5/2/2019: Ralph's, 6290 PCH, 3-6:30 p.m.
- 5/2/2019: AMC Marina Pacifica, 6346 E PCH, 6-10 p.m.
- 5/3/2019: Broadway Carwash 4000 E Broadway, 11 a.m.-1 p.m.