Hollywood Hills

28-Year-Old Woman Missing for Days Found Alive: LAPD

Her car was found Tuesday night in Lancaster, sheriff's deputies said.

A 28-year-old woman who went missing near Toluca Lake over the weekend, igniting an all-out search and desperate pleas from her parents to help find her, was discovered alive, the Los Angeles Police Department said Wednesday. 

Laura Lynne Stacy was found by the LAPD walking along the 14 Freeway near Avenue K in the Lancaster area at 2:30 p.m., the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said.

The LAPD officer who found Stacy took her to where search teams had been looking for her after the discovery of her car.

Her parents, who’d traveled to Southern California from Colorado, were at the command post and reunited with her. They went to the hospital with her.

Authorities did not immediately release details about what had happened to her.

"I’m sure the parents are pleased. This type of successful end is what we hope for in law enforcement," Detective Tim O’Quinn said. "You don't get it often on cold nights. It's a great outcome to this story."

Temperatures were in the 20s in Lancaster overnight. 

Stacy's car was discovered Tuesday night in a remote area of Lancaster after she disappeared Saturday near her apartment in the 3600 block of Barham Boulevard, two blocks south of Forest Lawn Drive, the LAPD reported. 

Stacy moved from Colorado to California recently, authorities said. 

Stacy's car, a 2005 black Acura TL with a Colorado license plate, was found locked on the side of the road with no signs of foul play, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department. 

Her phone was found in a puddle Monday at a Santa Clarita park, nearly 30 miles from Stacy's apartment. The person who found the phone texted Stacy's parents around 5 a.m. 

Authorities said Tuesday that there were reported sightings of Stacy Sunday and Monday, including near the site where the phone was found. Family members said she last spoke with a family member, a sister, Sunday at noon.

"It doesn't feel real, like a horrible nightmare I want to wake up from," said Marcie Stacy, her mother, who flew up with her husband, Steve, from Colorado to try to help in the search.

Stacy had been studying to be a realtor and recently got into the arts and photography. Her parents believe she may have been meeting people about a job. 

A statement released on behalf of the Stacy family on Wednesday evening reads in part: "Our daughter’s physical condition is currently being evaluated by medical professionals, and we await the results. Our family is not in a position to grant interviews at this time and as a result, we respectfully request privacy."

Copyright CNS - City News Service
Contact Us