Pharmavite LLC announced Tuesday it is recalling some of its Nature Made adult gummy vitamins and folic acid tablets due to potential Salmonella or Staphylococcus aureus contamination.
The Northridge, California-based company said the recall of various Nature Made products was initiated out of "an abundance of caution."
The products went out nationwide to "various major retailers," and Pharmavite is notifying distributors and retailers to remove them from store shelves immediately, the release said.
The recalled products and lot numbers are:
- Nature Made Adult Gummies Multi vitamins: 1196071, 1196066 and 1205052
- Nature Made Adult Gummies Multi + Omega-3: 1173600
- Nature Made Adult Gummies Multi for Her plus Omega-3s: 1196048 and 1196050
- Nature Made Super B Complex w/C Folic Acid Tablets: 1204735, 1173146, 1173779, 1204001 and 1170987
Additionally, Pharmavite is recalling the following products that were not listed in their original press release "out of an abundance of caution for other reasons," the company said on its website:
- Nature Made Adult Gummies Hair, Skin, Nails: 1198437, 1198438
- Nature Made Vitamin D 1000 IU Tablets: 1147550, 1174782, 1176755, 1140172, 1175637, 1176756, 1147978, 1147557
The products are being recalled because they were not tested properly for salmonella or staphylococcus aureus contamination, the release said.
Salmonella can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, elderly people, and those with a weakened immune system. Healthy people infected with Salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain, according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention.
Staph aureus toxin in food can cause food poisoning, which induces nausea, vomiting, retching and abdominal cramping, the CDC says.
Customers are encouraged to return affected products to their retailer for a full refund. Consumers with questions may contact the company Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. PST at 1-800-276-2878.