Turkey Vows to Keep Investigating Jamal Khashoggi's Killing - NBC Southern California
National & International News
The day’s top national and international news

Turkey Vows to Keep Investigating Jamal Khashoggi's Killing

In a Washington Post op-ed, Erdogan wrote: "We will keep asking the same questions... Where are Khashoggi's remains? Who signed the Saudi journalist's death warrant?"

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Be the Toast of the Breeders’ Cup
    Hasan Jamali/AP
    In this Dec. 15, 2014, file photo, Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi speaks during a press conference in Manama, Bahrain. Nearly one year has passed since the Oct. 2 killing of Khashoggi, whose body has still not been found, no one has been convicted and questions continue to linger over the crown prince’s culpability.

    Days ahead of the anniversary of the grisly slaying of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Monday that his country will press ahead with efforts to shed light on the killing.

    In a Washington Post op-ed, Erdogan described the journalist's killing by a Saudi hit squad as "arguably the most influential and controversial incident of the 21st century" and blamed the murder on a "shadow state within the kingdom's government — not the Saudi state or people."

    The Turkish leader wrote: "We will keep asking the same questions... Where are Khashoggi's remains? Who signed the Saudi journalist's death warrant? Who dispatched the 15 killers, including a forensic expert, aboard the two planes to Istanbul?"

    Khashoggi entered the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2, 2018, to collect a document that he needed to marry his Turkish fiancee. Agents of the Saudi government killed Khashoggi inside the consulate and apparently dismembered his body, which has never been found.

    Turkey Wants to Try Khashoggi Murder Suspects

    [NATL] Turkey's President Wants to Try Khashoggi Murder Suspects

    Turkey's president wants Saudi Arabia to allow 18 suspects that it detained for the killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi to be tried in Turkish courts, setting up further complications with the Saudi government.

    (Published Tuesday, Oct. 23, 2018)

    Saudi Arabia initially offered multiple, shifting accounts about Khashoggi's disappearance. As international pressure mounted, the kingdom eventually settled on the explanation that he was killed by rogue officials in a brawl inside their consulate.

    The kingdom has put 11 people on trial in non-public proceedings. No one has been convicted so far.

    Erdogan criticized the court proceedings in Saudi Arabia, which he said lacked transparency and maintained that some of Khashoggi's murderers "enjoy de facto freedom." The court proceedings "tarnish the image of Saudi Arabia," Erdogan added.

    A U.N. report released earlier this year asserted that Saudi Arabia bore responsibility for the killing and that Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman's possible role should be investigated.

    On Sunday, Prince Mohammed said in a television interview that he takes "full responsibility" for Khashoggi's death but denied allegations that he ordered it.

    "This was a heinous crime," Prince Mohammed, 34, told "60 Minutes." ''But I take full responsibility as a leader in Saudi Arabia, especially since it was committed by individuals working for the Saudi government."

    Bolton: ‘What Do You Think I’ll Learn’ From Khashoggi Tape?

    [NATL] Bolton: ‘What Do You Think I’ll Learn’ From Khashoggi Tape?

    National security advisor John Bolton suggested he would not learn anything by listening to recordings taken during the killing of Washington Post journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

    (Published Tuesday, Nov. 27, 2018)