The judge at the trial of a man accused of killing three of Jennifer Hudson's relatives has decided to bar journalists' cellphones from court.
He has been allowing their limited use during the first two weeks of trial so reporters could email news updates.
But a media liaison says Judge Charles Burns decided Wednesday he'd seen too many violations of media rules he set before trial.
U.S. & World
News from around the country and around the globe
They include bans on tweets, though liaison Irv Miller says none of the violations involved Twitter. Several were phones ringing during testimony. The judge also believed one reporter was emailing too often.
The phone ban takes effect Thursday.
Hudson's former brother-in-law, William Balfour, is accused of killing the Oscar winner's mother, brother and 7-year-old nephew in an act of vindictiveness against his ex-wife.
A recap of trial coverage so far:
- Day 7: Neighbor Says Balfour Threatened Julia Hudson
- Day 7: Court Denies Jennifer Hudson Is Getting Star Treatment
- Day 6: Police Testify at Hudson Trial About Finding Gun
- Day 6: "Somebody Killed My Mother:" Hudson 911 Tape Released to Media
- Day 5: Balfour Girlfriend Says He Confessed to Killing Hudson Family Members
- Day 4: Witness: Balfour Repeatedly Threatened Hudson Family
- Day 3: Prosecutors Show Photos of Hudson's Slain Nephew
- Day 2: Cops Describe Finding Slain Hudson Family Members
- Day 1: Jennifer Hudson Breaks Down During Murder Trial