After Nick Carter of the Backstreet Boys was accused last year by a woman who said he raped her in the early 2000s, the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office confirmed Thursday it is reviewing the report as a potential case.
Santa Monica police turned over the potential case against Carter on Tuesday to a District Attorney's task force, Greg Risling of the D.A.'s office said.
The task force was established last year in response to widespread allegations of sexual abuse in the entertainment industry. Prosecutors did not provide any details of the potential case or identify the alleged victim.
Top news of the day
Singer Melissa Schuman went public last year with accusations that Carter sexually assaulted her in a bathroom and a bedroom the same day when she was 18 years old and a member of the girl group Dream. She filed a report with Santa Monica police in February.
When Schuman went public in a graphic blog post, she wrote she was "forced to engage in an act against my will." She also said the Backstreet Boy took her virginity.
"After kissing for a moment, he took my hand and brought me into the bathroom adjacent to his office. He shut the door and we continued to kiss. I asked him what we were doing in there. He didn’t respond and continued to kiss me," Schuman wrote. "He then pick me up, put me on the bathroom counter and started to unbutton my pants. I told him I didn’t want to go any further. He didn’t listen. He didn’t care."
Carter has denied the allegations, saying he was "shocked and saddened" by the accusations and insisting that Schuman had never expressed to him "that anything we did was not consensual."