Los Angeles County Fire Department

Firefighters Rescue About 250 Animals From Burning Pet Shop

Thirty-five animals died, but around 250 were rescued, after a fire burned a pet shop early Tuesday morning in Lennox.

Around 35 firefighters fought the blaze that was sparked by an electrical problem at around 2:30 a.m. in the 4400 block of Lennox Boulevard, according to Los Angeles County Fire Department spokesman Randall Wright.

Around 250 animals -- among them birds, snakes, turtles and other reptiles -- were carried one-by-one in their cages out of the single-story building. Crews used fans to blow out smoke from the building after the fire was knocked down after 25 minutes.

The blaze did not spread to the surrounding businesses. 

Contact Us