All evacuations were lifted Saturday and residents were being allowed to return to their neighborhoods, as firefighters made progress in the battle against a wildfire that destroyed homes in the northern San Fernando Valley.
Over 1,000 firefighters have been battling the aggressive fire that began Thursday night and burned about 7,600 acres. The fire was 7,965 acres and 33% contained as of 7 p.m. Saturday.
- Click here for LAFD's most updated map of areas still under evacuation and where they have been lifted
About 100,000 residents and 12,700 homes were affected by the fire burning north of Los Angeles. One resident suffered a cardiac arrest and died, and 31 structures were destroyed or damaged, according to the Los Angeles Fire Department.
ADVISORY: For safety, please follow instructions. Deputies were assisting in Sylmar when driver was rude to officer blocking street & went anyway. Deputies caught up with him & arrested for disobeying a peace officer. We all have places to go. Have patience. #SaddleridgeFire— SCV Sheriff (@SCVSHERIFF) October 11, 2019
For people and small pets:
- OPEN: Lanark Recreation Center (21816 Lanark Street)
- FULL: Sylmar Recreation Center (13109 Borden Avenuw)
- OPEN: Northridge Recreation Center (18300 Lemarsh Street)
- OPEN: Granada Hills Recreation Center (16730 Chatsworth Street)
- OPEN: Mason Park (10,500 Mason Avenue)
- OPEN: Brandford Rec Center (13306 Brandford Street)
- OPEN: Van Nuys/Sherman Oaks Rec Center (14201 Huston Street)
- OPEN: Balboa Recreation Center (17015 Burbank Boulevard)
Shelter for Large Animals:
- OPEN: Hansen Dam (11770 Foothill Boulevard)
- FULL: Pierce College (6201 Winnetka Avenue)
If you need help with the evacuation of large animals, contact East Valley Animal Shelter (818) 756-9323
Shelter for Small Animals:
- OPEN: West Valley Shelter (20655 Plummer Street)
Top news of the day
And according to Caltrans, the following freeways are now open in the
Saddleridge Fire area:
- All interstate and state routes are open
Antelope Valley Freeway;
- the eastbound 210 Freeway at the Golden State Freeway;
- the westbound Foothill Freeway at the Ronald Reagan Freeway
- the northbound Golden State Freeway truck route.
- The southbound Golden State Freeway truck route, the southbound
- Antelope Valley Freeway to the southbound Golden State Freeway truck route
- the northbound Golden State Freeway to the northbound Antelope Valley Freeway truck route all remained closed.
Evacuees can get free rides via Lyft if affected by the Saddleridge Fire in Los Angeles County, and the Reche and Sandalwood fires in Riverside County. Get two free rides using the code SWRRELIEF19. See more details here.
Large Animal Shelters:
- Hansen Dam (11770 Foothill Blvd)
- Pierce College in Woodland Hills is also being used as an evacuation center for horses (6201 Winnetka Ave)
- Call to confirm: West Valley Animal Shelter located at 20655 Plummer St.
All Los Angeles Unified School District schools that had been closed due to the Saddleridge Fire will resume normal schedules Monday, the district announced Sunday. In addition, the Los Angeles Community College District announced that Los Angeles Mission, Los Angeles Pierce and Los Angeles Valley community colleges would all return to full operations and class schedules Monday.
Due to poor air quality, LAUSD's Local District Northwest and Northeast were on early release Friday. A minimum day schedule was also in place for Topanga Elementary Charter, Roscomare Road Elementary and Devonshire Community Day School in Local District West. All athletics and after-school activities were canceled, however, after school staff remained on campus until parents picked up all students.
The following independent charter schools were on a minimum day schedule today: ISANA Cardinal, ISANA Palmati, Village Charter Academy.
School Closures in Ventura County
- Vista Real Charter School in Simi Valley will be closed Friday, Oct. 11
- Moorpark College is closed today
- Fillmore Unified School District will be closed Thursday, Oct. 10 and Friday, Oct. 11
- Los Cerritos Middle School and Lang Ranch Elementary School (CVUSD) will be closed Friday, Oct. 11
- MATES Charter School in Thousand Oaks will be closed Friday, Oct. 11
- Mupu School near Santa Paula will be closed on Friday, Oct. 11
- Simi Valley Unified School District will be closed Friday, Oct. 11
Authorities were also reminding evacuees to follow orders, as they are in place for residents' safety. One driver tried to go around an officer blocking a street, and was arrested.
AirBnB activated its home-sharing option for fire evacuees through Oct. 25.
Hosts in the LA area could opt to list their homes for $0 to help evacuees who had nowhere to stay. Visit this site for more information.