It just makes sense. The Dodgers want him to stay in Los Angeles after the spark he brought to the team after coming over last summer, and they're the only team whose made a deal close to what Manny and Scott Boras think Ramirez deserves.
Of course, just because that seems obvious to anybody who is paying attention to the proceedings, that doesn't mean Scott Boras isn't going to do everything in his power to trick the Dodgers into giving Manny the huge contract. Which is probably why he's talking about all these other teams that are interested in his client now.
"We are negotiating with several teams," Boras said Monday night. "The process has begun and we'll see where it takes us."
Boras said interest in Ramirez has perked up over the last week, but he would not specify the number of clubs involved. He said he remains in regular contact with general manager Ned Colletti of the Dodgers, who tried to re-sign the left fielder with an initial two-year, $45 million offer (plus an option) that was ignored and withdrawn.
And by "negotiating with several teams," I'm pretty sure Boras means either, "nobody else but the Giants, who don't want to give us three years" or "a couple of teams have called just to see if we've lowered the asking price yet since spring training is only three weeks away."
I understand Boras' determination to get Manny the big contract seeing as how he's one of, if not the, greatest hitters I've ever seen, but at some point he's just going to have to accept the fact that in this economy, with Manny turning 37 in May, it's just not going to happen. Take the Dodgers' two-year, $45 million offer with an option for the third year and call it a day.