Here are your Puck Headlines: A glorious collection of news and views collected from the greatest blogosphere in sports and the few, the proud, the mainstream hockey media.
• Last day in Santa Monica, so the normal Puck Daddy broadcasting schedule will resume on Friday.
• Ken Campbell of The Hockey News analyzes the controversy over Chris Pronger's contract with the Philadelphia Flyers, in which some confusion over the wording of the '35 and over' clause in the CBA could have led to a battle between the Flyers and the NHL about Pronger's post-retirement cap hit. Campbell gets GM Paul Holmgren on the record, and Holmgren said there are "negative and positive" ramifications for any contract. From Campbell: "The league has yet to hear from the Flyers about this and considers [the clause] to be unambiguous. And given that Holmgren has said the Flyers are willing to live with the negative ramifications of signing Pronger to a seven-year deal, it might not be an issue. Then that just makes it a really bad contract." Ouch. [THN]
• Koivu admits that he didn't want to play with the Minnesota Wild because of his brother Mikko playing there; he "just felt there were too many risks for us as brothers ... to join on the same team and kind of compete for the same ice time." [Star Tribune]
Get today's sports news out of Los Angeles. Here's the latest on the Dodgers, Lakers, Angels, Kings, Galaxy, LAFC, USC, UCLA and more LA teams.
• Chicago Blackhawks GM Dale Tallon admits that the team goofed up its restricted free agent qualifying offers. When asked why the offers were received late, he said -- no joke -- that "I'm not a mailman, so I don't know. There were a lot of things that could have gone on." [Chicago Tribune]
• NHL deserter Radim Vrbata and his $3 million cap hit would like to play somewhere in the League next season. The Tampa Bay Lightning just don't see where he fits into their plans, which evidently don't include underachieving one-hit wonders who become massive free agent busts. At least this season, they don't. [Lightning Strikes]
• Really nice piece by Seth Rorabaugh looking at where Marty Biron could end up, as the free-agent goalie remains on the market. The Lightning would be a very interesting option at the right price. [Empty Netters]
• Speaking of defensemen, great find by Adam Gretz of FanHouse (via the HF Boards), as it appears both the Anaheim Ducks' official site and the NHLPA site both have the Florida Panthers free agent as a Duckie. [FanHouse]
• Thanks to some brutal additions to already brutal rosters, THN's Ryan Kennedy is dubbing it the NorthBeast Division this season. The SouthLeast just wet itself. [THN]
• Finally, you've not lived until you've witnessed the awesome excitement of championship hockey. Championship AIR HOCKEY, that is. Many fingers will be jammed, many wrists sprained ...