SWAT Standoff Ends With Arrest of MMA Fighter Jason “Mayhem” Miller

A three-hour SWAT standoff ended Thursday at the Mission Viejo home of Mixed Martial Arts fighter Jason "Mayhem" Miller when police stormed in and took him into custody.

Thursday's incident was unusual as Miller tweeted about the standoff and even encouraged people to go to his address to watch "the absolute waste of resources going on outside of my house right now."

Mike Tierney took him up on the offer.

"It's very voyeuristic," Tierney said. "It's just something to do. I'm off today and I live two miles from here."

It started at 10:30 a.m. when Orange County sheriff's deputies tried to take Miller into custody on
an arrest warrant in a domestic violence and stalking case, but he ran back into his home and refused to come out, Orange County sheriff's Lt. Jeff Hallock said.

It ended about 2:15 p.m., when SWAT officers placed a device on his door that blew off the locks, prompting Miller to surrender, Hallock said.

Miller defended himself in a tweet, saying "I have not committed any crime, but yet i am forced HERE."

Miller's attorney, Joseph H. Low IV, told City News Service the raid was unnecessary.

"Jason had been under the care of a doctor for an illness," Low said. "He has been waiting for me to come back to town so that we could go back to court to continue to prove his innocence. I wish the police had informed me of their raid. We could have saved the taxpayers a lot of money. There was no
reason at all for them to get all dressed up in their SWAT costumes."

Twitter user @pjuric, who claimed to be a neighbor of Miller, begged him to give himself up, writing, "If not to save himself, please think of your neighbors and our kids!"

Some of his Tweets include:
"I WISH YOU NO HARM. I respect the Police, but this is overkill, for something that would be settled with one piece of paperwork from OCBAIL;

ALL THIS because I wanted to help raise a young boy into a man, and his mama wenr off her meds, and an ambitious DA thinks mayhem is BAD.

i woke up late, and couldn't leave because there is a highly equipment regiment of wanna be soldiers outside my house reminding me that, 'WE WON'T GO AWAY!'

i have the proper paper work, at my office in  HYPERLINK 'https://twitter.com/VaporLabsIrvine/'@VaporLabsIrvine, i was due to go to court this morning, but the LFPD chase me all last night.

if you would like to see this drama unfold, please, come to 26262 Avenida Calidad, Mission Viejo, CA 92691;

Mental health services for one single mother immigrant from the Philipines, who I know was well intentioned, but has a mental condition... now i have to pay a debt for her mistakes.

Just before he surrendered, Miller Tweeted, "They are gearing up like the Bin Laden raid, and I just want to be heard in court, to dispel all of the lies."

He also Tweeted to sheriff's deputies, "They threw a phone box threw a plate glass window. Disrespect. I would like to give up, but not with 50 RAMBOS out there. Not cool."

He also vowed to have the sheriff pay for the damage to his home in one of his Tweets.

Miller is facing two counts of corporal injury on a spouse or cohabitant and stalking, all felonies, and a misdemeanor count of violating a protective order, according to court records. He was last due in court Sept. 8 for a pretrial hearing, but he was declared a fugitive and a warrant for his arrest
was issued.

Court records show a $200,000 bond was forfeited on Sept. 8.

This wasn't the first brush with the law for Miller, 33, who had vandalism charges against him dismissed in 2012, but found himself in trouble with the law again for the domestic violence case in August of last year.

A misdemeanor vandalism charge against Miller was dismissed Nov. 21, 2012, after he was accused in August of 2012 of breaking at least one picture frame and damaging a propane tank and other items while spray-painting inside Mission Hills Church, causing at least $400 in damage.

Miller was arrested in August of 2012 when the church's pastor called sheriff's deputies to report he found books and CDs scattered throughout the Alicia Parkway church, along with broken picture frames and fire extinguisher dust on the first and second floors.

Miller, who was an Ultimate Fighting Championship competitor, was found on the second floor nude, although he did have some sort of cloth wrapped around him.

City News Service contributed to this report.

Contact Us