St. Patrick’s Day is one of the deadliest days of the year with 276 drunk-driving fatalities from 2009-2013, according to statistics from the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration.
Nearly three-fourths of those deaths involved drivers who were twice the legal limit, according to the NHTSA.
Officials want you to remember this St. Paddy’s Day that “Buzzed Driving is Drunk Driving” and to never get behind the wheel of a vehicle if you’ve been drinking.
The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department is utilizing two roving DUI patrols in Palmdale and Malibu along with two DUI checkpoints in Bellflower and Pico Rivera.
The Los Angeles Police Department is also staying on high-alert Tuesday with the checkpoints listed below:
- DUI/Driver License Checkpoint in Central Area:
- Spring Street and 7th Street from 10 p.m. to 3 a.m.
- DUI/Driver License Checkpoint in Hollywood Area:
- Highland Avenue and De Longpre Avenue from 10 p.m. to 3 a.m.
- DUI Saturation Patrol in 77th Street Area from 5 p.m. to 1 a.m.
- DUI Saturation Patrol in North Hollywood Area from 5 p.m. to 1 a.m.
Rideshare service Uber is offering $5 for every ride taken between March 17 and March 22 to Mother’s Against Drunk Driving Idaho.
Top news of the day
Lyft will offer a free ride credit to anyone who is paired with a driver named Patrick, Pat, Patty or Patricia on St. Patrick’s Day.