Sweater Saves Chihuahua During OC House Fire

Millie has burns on her paws and side, but her sweater "took the brunt of the burn"

A fashionable pooch has her purple puppy sweater to thank after she survived a fire that destroyed a family's Orange County home.

Millie the chihuahua and her family were inside the Santa Ana duplex in the 3300 block of West Camille Street when it erupted in flames Wednesday morning, officials said.

Four adults and two children got out safely, but had to leave 6-month-old Millie behind, Orange County Fire Authority Capt. Steve Concialdi said.

Firefighters broke open the front door to rescue Millie, who was wearing a purple sweater.

"The sweater was crisped to the outside of her body, and it was melted," said Lindsay Weber, head technician at 17th Street Animal Hospital where Millie is being treated. "She does have some burns on her, but it looks like the sweater took the brunt of the burn."

Millie has third-degree burns on her paws and sides, but Weber said the burns on her body are much more minor compared to her paws.

"She will absolutely make a full recovery," Weber said.

The family lost everything in the fire that destroyed their home, so the 17th Street Animal Hospital is treating Millie free of charge, Weber said.

A donation account was set up to help the family. Anyone who wants to help can visit their GoFundMe page.

The fire was under control within an hour, but also damaged the rear residence, displacing another family of three adults and four children, Concialdi said, adding that the most likely cause is an electrical malfunction.

City News Service contributed to this report.

Contact Us