U.S. News & World report Tuesday released its 2019-20 list of best hospitals and included three Los Angeles hospitals on its 20-institution Honor Roll.
The three are UCLA Medical Center at No. 6, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center at No. 8, and Keck Hospital of USC at No. 16. Among children's hospitals, Children's Hospital Los Angeles was judged the fifth best.
In preparing its lists, U.S. News analyzed data from nearly 5,000 medical centers and survey responses from more than 30,000 physicians to rank hospitals in 16 adult specialties, including cancer, diabetes, rheumatology and more. Survival rates, patient safety, specialized staff and hospital reputation were among the factors weighed.
Top news of the day
For 2019-20, the Mayo Clinic claimed the No. 1 spot on the Best Hospitals Honor Roll. Massachusetts General Hospital ranked No. 2, followed by Johns Hopkins Hospital at No. 3. The Honor Roll is a distinction awarded to hospitals ranked in the top 20 for delivering exceptional treatment across multiple areas of care.
U.S. News reported that, in addition to being No. 6 on the Honor Roll, UCLA Medical Center is ranked nationally in 14 adult specialties and 10 children's specialties. It also achieved the highest rating possible in 8 procedures or conditions.
Its ranking in 14 specialties is as follows: Cancer #21; Cardiology & Heart Surgery #8; Diabetes & Endocrinology #4; Ear, Nose & Throat #11; Gastroenterology & GI Surgery #6; Geriatrics #4; Gynecology Not Ranked; Nephrology #3; Neurology & Neurosurgery #6; Ophthalmology #5; Orthopedics #8; Psychiatry #8; Pulmonology & Lung Surgery #3; Rehabilitation Not Ranked; Rheumatology #9; Urology #10.
U.S. News reported that Cedars-Sinai -- a general medical and surgical facility and teaching hospital -- in addition to being No. 8 on the Honor Roll, is nationally ranked in 12 adult specialties and rated high performing in 9 adult procedures and conditions.
Its rankings in the 12 specialties are as follows: Cancer #12; Cardiology & Heart Surgery #3; Diabetes & Endocrinology #16; Ear, Nose & Throat #38; Gastroenterology & GI Surgery #2; Geriatrics #12; Gynecology #8; Nephrology #10; Neurology & Neurosurgery #12; Orthopedics #3; Pulmonology & Lung Surgery #4; Rheumatology Not Ranked; Urology #12.
Keck Hospital of USC, in addition to its No. 16 Honor Roll placement, is nationally ranked in 9 adult specialties and rated high performing in 1 adult specialty and 8 procedures and conditions. It is a general medical and surgical facility and a teaching hospital. Its rankings in the nine specialties are Cancer #21; Cardiology & Heart Surgery #11; Ear, Nose & Throat Not Ranked; Gastroenterology & GI Surgery #13; Geriatrics #6; Nephrology #13; Neurology & Neurosurgery #16; Ophthalmology #11; Orthopedics High Performing; Pulmonology & Lung Surgery #33; Urology #4.
The 2019-20 Best Hospitals Honor Roll
1. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn.
2. Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston
3. Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore
4. Cleveland Clinic
5. New York-Presbyterian Hospital-Columbia and Cornell, N.Y.
6. UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles
7. UCSF Medical Center, San Francisco
8. Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles
9. NYU Langone Hospitals, New York, N.Y.
10. Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago
11. University of Michigan Hospitals-Michigan Medicine, Ann Arbor
12. Stanford Health Care-Stanford Hospital, Palo Alto, Calif.
13. Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston
14. Mount Sinai Hospital, New York
15. UPMC Presbyterian Shadyside, Pittsburgh
16. Keck Hospital of USC, Los Angeles
17. University of Wisconsin Hospitals, Madison
18. Hospitals of the University of Pennsylvania-Penn Presbyterian, Philadelphia (tie)
18. Mayo Clinic-Phoenix (tie)
20. Houston Methodist Hospital (tie)
20. Yale New Haven Hospital, New Haven, Conn. (tie)