At least 35 patients were evacuated from a portion of UC Irvine Medical Center in Orange Tuesday morning after smoke was spotted in the building's emergency room.
Firefighters responded to the hospital at 101 The City Drive South about 2:05 a.m. and determined the smoke was caused by a generator in the hospital's basement that had caught fire, according to Metro Cities Fire Authority.
"Currently the (emergency) department is empty and we're diverting emergency patients to other hospitals while we clear the smoke from the emergency department," said hospital spokesman John Murray.
Top news of the day
The fire was out by the time firefighters' arrived and crews assisted with removing smoke from the building, the fire authority said.
It was unclear when patients would be returned to their rooms.
No injuries were reported.