Health officials Friday confirmed the first two cases of the measles so far this year in Orange County.
The first case involved an adult who was exposed to the disease while on an international flight. He had been vaccinated, according to Jessica Good of the Orange County Health Care Agency.
The second case was confirmed on Monday. A Laguna Beach High School student, who had not been vaccinated, did not report any traveling outside Orange County and has had no known exposures to anyone with measles, Good said.
Top news of the day
It has not been determined how the student got sick, she said, noting that parents of students at the school were notified of the measles case in a letter issued Wednesday.
A "small number" of students who have not gotten measles shots were told to stay home until April 18, she said.
Measles is a highly contagious disease that causes fever, rash, cough and red, watery eyes. It can be spread by air or by direct contact with someone infected.
There was one reported measles case in Orange County in 2013. 23 in 2014, 35 in 2015 and none last year.
In 2015, there was a large measles outbreak linked to Disneyland, traced to a traveler who was infected overseas before visiting the Anaheim theme park, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. HCA officials encouraged residents to get measles shots.