Port Hueneme Gold Coast Beestro received the 2011 Captain Edward F. Ney Memorial Food Service Award, the top honor for ashore facilities in the Navy.
Stuffed Pork Chops with Mushroom Gravy
- Sautee onions, carrots, celery and season with salt and pepper. When vegetables are fork tender add bread crumbs, gradually blend in chicken broth until mixture is moistened.
- Fillet pork chops, add 3 or 4 tablespoons of stuffing mixture and roll.
- In a skillet, season with salt and pepper and brown pork chops until all sides are golden brown.
- Place in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking pan.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees F for 35-45 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F.
- Melt butter in a large stock pot over medium-low heat, and cook the mushrooms until they are browned and the butter is clear, 1/2 hour. Remove the mushrooms and set aside.
- There should be about 1/2 cup of butter left in the stock pot; whisk the flour into the butter, and gently cook over low heat until the flour mixture turns mahogany brown in color, about 20 minutes.
- Whisk in the chicken broth; bring the mixture to a simmer to thicken the stock.
- Bring the gravy to a gentle boil, reduce heat, and simmer for about 20 minutes to blend the flavors.
- Stir in the chopped mushrooms, then season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Pour 1/2 cup over the chop and serve.