Thanksgiving Day is a celebration with family and friends that includes the traditional turkey and many other delicious meals.
However, many families cannot afford to buy everything they need to prepare a Thanksgiving meal. Fortunately, several organizations in Southern California are giving food donations to help those in need.
Map of Los Angeles County Food Banks
Here’s a list of the places where you can get a free food basket to celebrate Thanksgiving.
Los Angeles County Parks and Recreation Department
The Los Angeles County Parks and Recreation Department is hosting a “Thanksgiving Grab-n-Go Feat” event where families can stay in their vehicles, and they receive gifts that may include a gift certificate from the grocery store for a free turkey, supplies for a festive DIY centerpiece, fresh produce, dry food and books.
Attendees must wear face covers at all times. Only families who sign up will receive gifts. To register, click here.
For a list of dates, times and parks where this event will be offered, click here.
- Mount Sinai Church: 3669 W 54th St, Los Angeles, CA 90043/11 a.m. - 1 p.m. People will be required to wear masks and turkeys will be placed in vehicles. Seniors who need help can call (323) 291-1121.
- Thanksgiving Food Distribution: 10641 N. San Fernando Rd., Pacoima, CA 91331/9 - 11 a.m. For more information, call MEND at 818-896-0246.
- Nick Alexander BMW: 6333 Alameda St., Los Angeles, CA 9000 1/8 - a.m. Restaurants and organizations, in conjunction with BMW, will provide free food and turkeys to 250 families.
- Allied Restoration & The Passionate Life Foundation: 3120 E Harvey Ave. S, West Covina, CA 91790. In addition to the food, they will also give away COVID Care bags that include disposable face masks, wet travel wipes, among other supplies.
- Para Los Niños: 474 Hartford Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90017/12 - 3 p.m.
Sycamore Grove Foursquare Church: 4328 N. Figueroa St., Los Angeles, CA 90065/1 - 3 p.m.
- Sycamore Grove Foursquare Church: 4328 N. Figueroa St., Los Angeles, CA 90065 / 1 - 3 p.m.
- National Health Foundation: 1032 W. 18th St., Los Angeles, CA 90015/1 - 5 p.m.
- Faith Temple Church: 11937 South Main St., Los Angeles, CA 90061/11 a.m.
- Compton Community Church: 1226 West Compton Blvd., Compton, CA 90220/3 p.m. Food bags include canned or boxed goods and a whole roast chicken. There will be food available for 200 people. You do not need to register.
- St. Timothy Community Church: 3100 N State St, San Bernardino, CA 92407/8 - 10 a.m. A basket of turkey and other ingredients will be delivered for Thanksgiving while supplies last.
- Royal Love Thanksgiving Giveaway: People can attend this event from their vehicle too. They might receive groceries, hygiene kits, school supplies, Covid-19 tests, HIV tests and more. People must wear face covers at all times. To sign up, click here.
- Victor Valley Rescue Mission: San Bernardino County Fairgrounds - 14800 Seventh St., Victorville, CA 92395/11 a.m. - 1 pm. Individuals must show identification that matches the name on the receipt they receive when signing up. To register, click here.
- LightHouse of Hope Foundation: 4350 La Sierra Ave., Riverside, CA 92505-2955 / 10 a.m. - 12 p.m. One basket of turkey per car will be given away while supplies last.
- St. Mark's Church and School: 940 Coeur D Alene Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90291/11 a.m. - 1 pm. Free food will be distributed to complement Thanksgiving dinner.
- LAPD Rampart Turkey and Produce Grab and Go: 1401 W 6th St., Los Angeles, CA 90017 / 8 a.m. - 12 p.m.
- Boyd Funeral Home: 11109 S Vermont Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90044/1 p.m.
- Dream Center: The LA Dream Center, 2301 Bellevue Avenue, will give away 1,000 turkey meals. form 10:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Colony Recovery Foundation: South Gate Park - 4900 Southern Ave., South Gate, CA 90280/4 - 6 p.m. Event in coordination with the city of South Gate. One turkey per family will be offered.
- Drive-Thru Thanksgiving Turkey Giveaway: Gardena-Carson Family YMCA - 1000 Artesia Blvd., Gardena, CA 90248/11 a.m. - 1 p.m. Individuals must show proof of residency in the following areas: Harbor Gateway, San Pedro, Wilmington, Torrance, Carson, Compton, Lawndale, Hawthorne, Gardena, Inglewood, and Watts. For more information, contact Senator Steve Bradford's District Office at (310) 412-6120.
- Honda Center: 2695 E. Katella Ave., Anaheim, CA 92806. / 9 a.m. - 12 p.m. / We Give Thanks and Second Harvest Food Bank will donate prepared food for four and a box of food for the Thanksgiving celebration. People must go in their vehicle.