An 80-year-old man was fatally shot on Thursday in an Encino neighborhood and police were still investigating why someone would have killed him.
The incident happened at 2:30 a.m. at the victim's mansion in the 5300 block of Andasol Avenue in Encino, police said.
Harvey Cohen was identified as the man who was shot and wounded. He died at a hospital.
LAPD spokesman Cleon Joseph told NBC4 that the victim may have confronted an intruder, but police later said they were no longer sure whether the shooting was the result of a home invasion.
Police said they found a .45-caliber gun shell casing in the kitchen of the home.
Encino is an upscale neighborhood in the San Fernando Valley, 20 miles northwest of downtown Los Angeles.
More Southern California Stories:
- Sewage Spill Causes Stink at Oakland A's, LA Angels Game
- Two Earthquakes Rattle SoCal
- New Child Sex Abuse Cases Against LAUSD Surface
- Chino Police Pursuit Ends in Fatal Crash
- Deputies Released from Hospital After Crash
- Alleged Hoax Threat Caller Has Developmental Disability
- Customs Inspection Finds Viagra Knock-Offs
- Man Allegedly Scammed 86-Year-Old Widow