Dozens Sickened by Acid Smell at Carson Business

View Comments ()
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    Workers gather with emergency first responders outside a Corona business on Nov. 18, 2013, after a sulfuric acid smell sickened dozens.

    Dozens of workers were being treated for burning noses and throats at a Carson business Monday night as investigators tried to find the source of the sickening smell.

    PHOTOS: See top news pictures of the week

    Employees at Brookvale International Corp. reported feeling sick, according to a spokesperson for the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department. The call came in about 9:15 p.m. in the 20900 block of South Maciel Avenue.

    Initial investigations suggested a type of sulfuric acid may be to blame, a spokesman for the county fire department said. The source appeared to be a leak at a nearby chemical company.

    About 60 people were treated at the scene for eyes, nose and throat irritation. Ten people were treated at a hospital.

    More Southern California Stories: