Dozens of workers were being treated for burning noses and throats at a Carson business Monday night as investigators tried to find the source of the sickening smell.
Employees at Brookvale International Corp. reported feeling sick, according to a spokesperson for the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department. The call came in about 9:15 p.m. in the 20900 block of South Maciel Avenue.
Initial investigations suggested a type of sulfuric acid may be to blame, a spokesman for the county fire department said. The source appeared to be a leak at a nearby chemical company.
About 60 people were treated at the scene for eyes, nose and throat irritation. Ten people were treated at a hospital.
More Southern California Stories:
- 3 Arrested in Murder Plot: Police
- Go-to-Guide Yelp Under Fire for Review Process
- Pursuit Ends in Rooftop Gunfire
- Yelp Accused of Pandering for Ads
- Google Sorry Over Killed Teen Photo
- Man Gunned Down at Pool Hall
- Motorcycle Police Chase
- Deadly Rooftop Shooting