An evacuation was ordered after a loud explosion at a hardware store Wednesday morning in Santa Ana.
Bomb squad invetigators found what "appeared to be remnants of an exploded pipe bomb" near the exit doors at Orchard Supply Hardware in the 1900 block of East 17th Street. The explosion was later determined to be caused by a battery device.
More details regarding the device were not immediately available, but police said the battery might have fallen off a store shelf..
Witnesses told police that they heard an explosion near the exit. A customer exiting the building heard what Santa Ana police described as metal "clank" and hissing sound before "loud boom" after the doors opened.
"He hears hissing, then boom, then smoke," said Santa Ana Police Department Cpl. Anthony Bertagna
No injuries were reported.
Refresh this page and watch the NBC4 News at Noon for updates.
More Southern California Stories:
- Pipe Bomb "Remnants" Found at Hardware Store
- 2nd Porn Actor Tests Positive for HIV
- Burned Body Found in Castaic Area
- Girl Critically Injured in Car-to-Car Shooting
- Long Beach Police Defend Caught-on-Camera Violence
- 101 Fwy Reopens After Big Rig Fire
- Police Shoot, Wound Child Molestation Suspect
- Family Sees Peace of Mind in Health Care Reform