A veteran Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputy was relieved of duty without pay Thursday after being accused of having sex with a teenage girl, authorities said.
Deputy John Augustus Rose II, 43, was arrested Thursday evening at the Clara Shortridge Foltz Criminal Justice Center and booked for felony lewd acts on a child 14 or 15 years old, the LA County Sheriff’s Department said in a news release.
Rose is a 22-year veteran of the force. His charges "stem from alleged incidents occurring between February and June of 2013 while Rose was off-duty," the department said.
Sheriff's officials in LA received information Sept. 7 from the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department that Rose allegedly had sex with the girl.
Rose was last assigned to the Community Oriented Policing Services (COPS) Bureau.
He is being held in lieu of $325,000 bail and is scheduled to appear in court on Sept. 16.
More Southern California Stories:
- Seniors in Living Center Evicted
- 69 Years After Crash, WWII Airmen Recovered
- More Packets From Ex-TSA Screener Expected
- "Revenge Porn" Bill Heads to Brown's Desk
- Arcadia High Lockdown Lifted
- Teacher Pleads in Sex Case
- NASA: Voyager 1 Has Left the Solar System