Man Turns Himself In After Alleged Theft From Paul Walker Wreck

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    A man turned himself into police Tuesday in connection with the theft of a piece of a Porsche that crashed and caught fire in Valenica, killing “Fast and Furious” actor Paul Walker and fellow fast-car enthusiast Roger Rodas.

    Anthony Edward Janow, 25, surrendered to Los Angeles authorities Tuesday, was booked and released after posting bond of $60,000, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.

    Janow had been outside California when detectives starting talking to him, making arrangements for his surrender.

    Janow’s friend – 18-year-old Jameson Brooks Witty – was arrested last week for allegedly stealing a part of the charred sports car in which Walker and Rodas died.

    The theft happened as Rodas’ red 2005 Porsche Carrera GT was being towed to an impound yard the night of Nov. 30, hours after Walker and Rodas died in the fiery crash, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.

    Watch: Paul Walker Memorial Draws Thousands

    A witness saw someone take a piece of the wreck from a flat-bed truck as it was stopped at a red light and the tow truck driver reported the theft, investigators said.

    Authorities later recovered a red roof panel from the Porsche at a location in Canyon Country.

    The crash happened while Walker and Rodas had taken what was expected to be a brief drive away from a charity fundraiser and toy drive at Rodas' custom car shop in Valencia, about 30 miles northwest of downtown Los Angeles. Walker's publicist said the action star was the passenger.

    Prosecutors on Monday charged Janow and Witty – who, at the time, was coordinating his surrender – with one felony count each of grand theft of personal property, and two misdemeanor counts each of destroying evidence and resisting, obstructing and delaying a peace officer, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office said.

    If convicted as charged, Witty and Janow face a maximum sentence of four years, six months in county jail. The pair is expected to return to court on Jan. 3, 2014.

    More Southern California Stories:

    Follow NBCLA for the latest LA news, events and entertainment: iPhone/iPad App | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Instagram | RSS | Text Alerts | Email Alerts