Redondo Beach police fatally shot a man who was seen dragging his mother into a home and armed himself with a knife while being taken into custody, police said on Friday.
Officers responded around 11:15 p.m. Thursday to the 500 block of Susana Avenue to investigate a report of a female screaming as a man tried to drag her inside a residence, said Redondo Beach police Capt. Jeff Hink.
The man, identified as Mitchell Allison of Redondo Beach, 43, was spotted inside the home near the front door and was ordered to surrender, but he refused, Hink said.
"Officers forced the door open. The suspect armed himself with a knife, and an officer-involved shooting occurred," he said.
Allison died at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, Hink said.
The shooting is being investigated by Redondo Beach police, the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department and the District Attorney's Office.
It will also be investigated by the county Office of Independent Review, as is standard in such cases.
More Southern California Stories:
- Man in Custody After SWAT Standoff in Sylmar
- Skateboarding Pup Finds Her New Home in OC
- LACMA Remodel At Odds With La Brea Tar Pits
- LADWP Workers Collect $77.3M in Overtime
- Death Inspires Rethink of Child Abuse Cases
- Watts' $1B Makeover Worries Some Residents