This article is sponsored by Snow Summit, Southern California's favorite family ski resort for nearly 60 years. To learn more about Snow Summit visit

Many Southern Californian families don't realize that some of the country's best and most accessible skiing and snowboarding is in their backyard. 

Located less than two hours from downtown Los Angeles, Snow Summit has been the preferred winter getaway of snow-chasing SoCal families for over 60 years. Thanks to its proximity to Big Bear Lake and high elevation, the historic ski resort enjoys abundant snowfall, while an extensive snowmaking network ensures that 100 percent of the mountain stays white even when mother nature doesn't cooperate. 
But Snow Summit's family appeal extends far beyond its proximity and snowmaking capabilities. Let's take a closer look at the resort features that have kept SoCal skiers coming back for well over half a century. 
The Terrain
With 240 acres of skiable trails and glades, Snow Summit is able to dazzle all abilities of skiers and snowboarders with its varied terrain. Beginner and intermediate runs account for 75 percent of the mountain, making it the perfect outing for a family intent on sticking together. Got a hot dog in the brood? Not to worry: The remaining 25 percent is experts-only, and there's even three terrain parks--replete with enough jibs and jumps to keep any future Winter Olympian occupied. Add 14 lifts, including two high speed quads, not to mention a policy of limiting the amount of tickets sold to avoid crowded slopes and lift lines, and you've got a mountain that's virtually tailor made for you and your family. 
The Ski School 
Of course ski terrain means nothing if you don't have the skills to confidently arc your turns. Thankfully, Snow Summit's Snow Sports Schools are world-class. Hundreds of instructors can handle all ranges of ability, from the never-ever to the expert just looking for a tune up or a clinic in the bumps. Beginners are especially pampered thanks to The "Big" Deal, an exclusive package that includes two days of lift tickets and group lessons for only $89. Kids are catered too as well with group lessons for ages four and up. Remember: It's never too early to get them out there. 
The Amenities 
Skiers and riders will love all the amenities at their disposal, from convenient equipment pickup locations to on-mountain dining. Rental staff can get you on the slopes in no time and offer everything from skis and boards for first-timers to demos from high end brands like Rossignol, Salomon, K2 and Burton. Lunch is equally hassle-free. With two restaurants directly on the trails, there's no need to come off the hill for a meal. Pair your lunch with stunning views of San Gorgonio Mountain and Big Bear Lake below from the View Haus, perched at 8,100 feet. Or tuck into a burrito next to the terrain park at Summit Haus' sun-soaked deck. Once the lifts stop spinning, the fun continues at the village base. The Bull Wheel Bar and the ski-in/ski-out Slopeside Pub are the place for a round of après-ski drinks. 
And for dinner, don't forget Evergreen International Seafood & Steak Restaurant, home to the best surf and turf and views of Big Bear Lake in town.
The Accommodations
Look no further than Big Bear Vacations. With over 300 vacation rentals, from cozy cabins to luxurious lakeside properties with full concierge services, there's something for everyone, no matter your budget. Choose amenities like outdoor hot tubs, pool tables and fireplaces, or even a romance package. So give one of their certified vacation planners a call at 888-945-3023 to help you plan your getaway.
For more information on Snow Summit, including lodging, lift ticket prices and lesson booking information, visit
Contact Us