Marion “Suge” Knight Charged With Murder

Knight is accused of using his pickup truck to intentionally run over two men at a burger stand in Compton Thursday

Marion "Suge" Knight is expected to answer to murder and other charges following a fatal hit-and-run in a Compton parking lot last week, prosecutors said.

Updated Article: Knight Due for Arraignment

Knight, the co-founder of Death Row Records, has a court hearing at which he could enter a plea to the charges and others, including attempted murder and hit-and-run with an allegation that he committed a serious and violent felony while out on bail in another pending case, according to the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office.

The charges were announced after a Los Angeles Superior Court commissioner yanked his bail because he's considered a flight risk and other factors.

Sheriff's homicide detectives Monday morning petitioned a bail commissioner to revoke it, arguing he is a flight risk, that he is a third-strike candidate, possible witness intimidation issues and his criminal past, said Nicole Nishida, a spokeswoman for the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.

Knight, 49, surrendered to police hours after being accused of using his pickup truck to intentionally run over two men at a burger stand in Compton Thursday afternoon. Killed was businessman Terry Carter. Actor Cle Sloan was injured.

Knight allegedly had an argument with men. But he claims through his attorney that he struck the two men accidentally as he tried to get away from two other men who were threatening him.

The attorney had expressed hope security camera video would convince investigators it was an accident, but detectives said it appeared to be deliberate.

"He was going forward when he ran over both individuals," said Los Angeles County Sheriff's Lt. John Corina.

If convicted, Knight faces up to life in state prison.

Since a brief NFL career a quarter century ago, Knight has periodically been imprisoned and hospitalized during a career marked by violence inflicted and received.

He wore a diamond-encrusted handcuff and kept piranhas in his aquarium.

Last summer he was shot six times at a nightclub. Two months later he was arrested for robbery in a pending case for which he did post bail.

Nyree Arabian contributed to this report.

Contact Us