Hundreds of Reptiles Displaced, Several Killed in Stanton Store Fire

Hundreds of reptiles were displaced and several others killed after an electrical fire erupted at a reptile store in Stanton, authorities said Thursday.

The two-alarm blaze was reported around 8:10 p.m. Wednesday in the 10500 block of Beach Boulevard p.m. Wednesday, according to the Orange County Fire Authority.

About 50 firefighters from the OCFA and Anaheim Fire Department responded and had the fire under control by 8:43 p.m., officials said.

When rescuers arrived, they found as many as 300 snakes, lizards, tarantulas and other creatures, some of them dangerous and poisonous.

"We found them in their water dishes, which is the coolest spot in the cage. A couple of them we found hiding underneath cages," said rescuer Jason Haywood.

Firefighters removed the animals from the shop and used a dog oxygen mask to save lizards.

Several reptiles were affected by water and smoke. At least three pythons died, officials said.

Animal control officers at the scene said they would be taken to a county animal shelter.

 City News Service contributed to this report.

Contact Us