A man suspected of sexually assaulting a woman in a Boyle Heights park bathroom was in custody Tuesday and investigators were seeking a second suspect.
Two witnesses told officers they went into a bathroom at Hollenbeck Park, located in the 400 block of South St. Louis Street, about 3:45 p.m. Monday and saw two men, one of whom was on top of a woman who screamed when they entered, according to Los Angeles Police Department Officer Tony Im.
The witnesses held one suspect, later identified as 55-year-old Carlos Fuentes, until officers arrived and arrested him, Im said.
Top news of the day
The second suspect who had been in the bathroom, and is also suspected of sexually assaulting the woman, fled on foot and was being sought. He is believed to be 30-35 years old and goes by the name "Ace," Im said.
A detailed description of "Ace," reported to be a transient, was not released.
The woman refused all medical assistance, Im said.
Fuentes was being held in lieu of $100,000 bail, according to sheriff's inmate records.