How to Report Suspected Disabled Parking Placard Abuse

If you truly suspect abuse or fraud, there are several ways you can report it

View Comments ()



    Before you report suspected abuse of a disabled parking placard, remember that disabilities don’t always show.

    That seemingly healthy-looking man or woman who displays a placard at the mall or your neighborhood supermarket may have an underlying medical condition that isn’t obvious. And it isn’t just the elderly that require placards. They can be issued to anyone with a disability at any age, iincluding children.

    But if you truly suspect abuse or fraud, there are several ways you can report it.

    First, you can contact the Department of Motor Vehicles at 800-777-0133. You can also contact any of the DMV Investigations offices. There are 21 offices located in California, most of them in the Southern California.

    Although the DMV administers the Disabled Parking Placard program, any law enforcement agency can cite drivers for misuse of the placard. That includes the Los Angeles Police Department, the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, the California Highway Patrol and the Los Angeles Department of Transportation.

    You can report fraud to LADOT by calling 323-224-6581. You can also call or visit any of the six LADOT offices located throughout the Greater Los Angeles area.

    Follow NBCLA for the latest LA news, events and entertainment: iPhone/iPad App | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Instagram | RSS | Email Alerts