Homicide detectives were investigating the discovery Thursday a dead female infant found wrapped in a blanket on a conveyor belt at a recycling facility in Victorville, officials said.
The discovery was made at 11:30 a.m. when authorities responded to the Victor Valley Material Recovery Facility in the 17000 block of Abbey Lane.
The baby was a newborn, the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department said.
The baby was most likely dumped inside a residential or commercial recycle bin and then hauled to the plant.
The plant serves most of the high desert area except for Hesperia.
A man who answered the phone at the plant declined to comment.
Victorville is about 80 miles northeast of downtown Los Angeles.
More Southern California Stories:
- Big Rig Crashes on 5 Freeway in OC
- CA Rep. Rescues Airline Passenger in Distress
- Missing Pomona Boy Found
- Exhibit: 7,000 Inflatable Worlds
- Prelim Findings in Plane Crash
- Sea Lions Fatally Shot in Malibu
- SUV Crashes Into Back Yard
- Mother: Missing Son Never Misses Curfew