Two passengers tried to smuggle 100 pounds of marijuana -- disguised as birthday presents -- through Los Angeles International Airport Wednesday, officials said.
Shortly after 5 a.m., TSA officers at Terminal 1 screened the four suit cases and found they were stuffed with marijuana, said Nico Melendez, TSA spokesman.
The pot was bundled in green cellophane then wrapped again in cupcake-covered wrapping paper, pictured below, Melendez said.
Two passengers tried to check the bags and were scheduled to depart Los Angeles to Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta International Airport.
The pot has a street value of about $300,000, airport officials said.
More Southern California Stories:
- OC Student Killed on SF Train
- Bomb Squad Investigation Over at LAX Terminal
- Free Films at the Edge of the Ocean
- Wanted Serial Rapist Is "Capable of Great Violence"
- Lakers Not Rushing to Re-Sign Kobe Bryant
- Ryu, Puig, Kemp Power Dodgers Past SF
- Madre Fire Containment Expected Friday
- One Dead After Gunbattle, Chase Into Park