The owners of the so-called "bomb factory" that was burned down in Escondido last month are reportedly demanding at least $500,000 for their loss.
The homeowners are listed as Niel and Michele Mamerto, according to Thomas Bunton, who represents the county.
E-mails obtained by the North County Times show an exchange between Bunton and the homeowner's attorney Steven McKinley. In an e-mail, dated Dec. 15, McKinley asks for at least $500,000 for "property damage, distress and inconvenience."
Bunton told NBC that the county had not officially responded to the request, but they were going to do so "relatively shortly." He doesn't believe the homeowners will get any money.
"They are not legally entitled to any compensation. This was an emergency," said Bunton.
He says the best option for the homeowners is to file a claim with their insurance company.
A call to the homeowner's attorney for comment was not returned.
Unstable chemicals were found inside the so-called "bomb factory" after a gardener stepped on explosive residue and was hurt. Authorities said the materials were too dangerous to remove.
The home's tenant, George Jakubec, has pleaded not guilty to bank robbery and making destructive devices.