Captain Arrested After Sailboat Washes Ashore Off Venice Beach

Authorities helped at least three people from the boat as it was tossed in the breakwater between Venice and Santa Monica piers

View Comments ()



    A boat captain arrested in connection with piloting a boat while intoxicated crashed ashore in Venice. Gordon Tokumatsu reports for NBC4 News at 5 p.m. from Venice Tuesday, Sept. 2, 2014. (Published Tuesday, Sept. 2, 2014)

    The captain and owner of a 40-foot sailboat was arrested after his craft  ran aground and began to capsize at Venice Beach early Tuesday morning,  authorities said.

    The sailboat ran aground between the Venice and Santa Monica piers around midnight, said Sgt. G. Montoya of the sheriff's Marina del Rey Station. Los Angeles police officers arrived first and helped at least three people from the boat to shore, said Lt. Marco Munoz of the LAPD's Pacific Station.

    "The captain of the boat was possibly under the influence so we notified the sheriff's Marina del Rey Station," Munoz told City News Service.

    Montoya confirmed the captain was arrested on suspicion of driving a  boat while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

    Damaged Boat Remains on Venice Beach

    [LA] Boat Remains on Venice Beach After Washing Ashore
    Attempts to tow the sailboat, which washed up on the beach overnight, have failed. Authorities will attempt to try again when the tide rises. Annette Arreola reports for the NBC4 News at Noon on Tuesday Sept. 2, 2014. (Published Tuesday, Sep 2, 2014)

    The boat remained in the breakwater between Venice and Santa Monica piers Tuesday at mid-day. Crews tried to tow the vessel from the area, but might need to wait until the tide rises so the boat can be lifted out of the sand.

    No injuries were reported.

    The blood alcohol limit for boating is the same as the limit for driving a car in California -- 0.08 percent, according to the California Division of Boating and Waterways.

    Violations can result in a jail sentence of up to six months and fines of up to $1,000. Two convictions within seven years could add a jail term of up to one year.

    Shortly before high tide Tuesday, lifeguards dislodged the boat and towed it out to sea. The most visible damage was a main mast that snapped in half.

    Follow NBCLA for the latest LA news, events and entertainment: iPhone/iPad App | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Instagram | RSS | Email Alerts