A landmark Victorville restaurant that served patrons for decades was destroyed in a fire Monday that firefighters battled for nearly two hours at a strip mall.
Rinconsito Del Mar Mexican Restaurant was deemed a total loss after the fire near 7th Street and La Paz Drive. Smoke and fire were reported at the rear of the 40-year-old restaurant at about midnight, but fire crews protected adjoining structures.
"They began an aggressive interior attack, but the fire load was such that we pulled out and transitioned to a defensive attack," said Eric Sherwin, public information officer with the San Bernardino County Fire Department. "Shortly after that, we had a significant collapse."
Heating and ventilation units on the roof collapsed into the main part of the building.
No injuries were reported. More than 30 firefighters responded to the fire.
The restaurant was closed at the time of the fire.
Details regarding a cause were not immediately available.
More Southern California Stories:
- Lakers in China: Kobe Improving
- LAPD Officers, Driver Hurt in Crash
- LAX "Dry Ice Bomb" Delays Flights
- Two Killed in Coast Highway Crash
- Rocker's Stolen Ax Finally Returned
- Lakers in China, Go To Great Wall
- Child Among Fatalities in Crash
- Football Player's Death Probed