OC officials met behind closed doors Friday to discuss the possible discipline of longtime County CEO Tom Mauk in connection with the Monday arrest of city councilman Carlos Bustamante, accused in eight-year sex abuse scandal. If so, Mauk could be out of a job. Gordon Tokumatsu reports from Santa Ana for the NBC4 News at 5 p.m. on July 6, 2012.
No decision was made on discipline against a longtime Orange County CEO who was called into an emergency closed-door meeting Friday in connection with the arrest of a city councilman accused of sexually assaulting female employees.
Orange County Supervisors met behind closed doors Friday to discuss the possible discipline of Tom Mauk. The issue was continued for further discussion on July 24.
The meeting was called in response to Monday's arrest of Santa Ana City Councilman Carlos Bustamante, a one-time top county administrator, said board chairman John Moorlach.
Mauk was hired to the county's highest-ranking non-elected position in 2004. He has held the job longer than anyone since the county went bankrupt in 1994, Moorlach said.
Through a spokesman, Mauk would not comment.
Bustamante’s arrest came nine months after he resigned as executive manager of the county Public Works Department amid allegations of sexual misconduct involving co-workers.
The alleged assaults happened between 2003 and last year while Bustamante worked in Public Works, prosecutors said.
The one-time administrator in the Public Works department was taken into custody while on his way to a City Council meeting. He was booked into an Orange County jail and released on bond. He faces felony stalking, attempted sexual battery and false imprisonment charges in court.
Moorlach wonders why it took until March 2 for his office to become aware of the allegations against Bustamante and why the victims felt they had no recourse.
“They felt very constrained, which is something we’ve got to reflect on and see what we can do to improve,” Moorlach said.