Two of the seven missing sailors whose bodies were found inside flooded berth compartments of the USS Fitzgerald were from San Diego, the U.S. Navy confirmed Sunday.
Yeoman 3rd Class Shingo Alexander Douglass, 25, is from San Diego, and Fire Controlman 2nd Class Carlos Victor Ganzon Sibayan, 23, is from Chula Vista.
Following the collision, many of the crew reportedly kept diving into flooded parts of the ship attempting to rescue fellow sailors. Others reportedly worked to keep the destroyer afloat, or manned the guns, thinking the collision may have been an attack.
The U.S. Navy has identified the other five men killed as:
- Gunner’s Mate Seaman Dakota Kyle Rigsby, 19, from Palmyra, Virginia
- Sonar Technician 3rd Class Ngoc T Truong Huynh, 25, from Oakville, Connecticut
- Gunner’s Mate 2nd Class Noe Hernandez, 26, from Weslaco, Texas
- Personnel Specialist 1st Class Xavier Alec Martin, 24, from Halethorpe, Maryland
- Fire Controlman 1st Class Gary Leo Rehm Jr., 37, from Elyria, Ohio
The Navy is investigating the cause of the collision.