Adoption fees for dogs and cats are being cut in half this weekend at Los Angeles' six animal shelters, which are filled to capacity. The following fees are effective Saturday and Sunday:
- Adult Dogs (5 months and older) $51
- Puppies (4 months and under) $75
- Adult Cats (5 months and older) $12.50
- Kittens (4 months and under) $25.
The summer months following the spring breeding season is traditionally the worst time for the shelters, and several hoarding cases have made things even worse this year, according to officials with Los Angeles Animal Services.
Top news of the day
All the pets are vaccinated, spayed or neutered and microchipped before going to their new homes. While dog adoption fees are reduced, there will be a $20 dog license fee applied for Los Angeles residents.
Potential fosters are also being sought to reduce the crowding. Volunteers can print out the foster application online or visit one of the shelters to apply.
The six Los Angeles animal shelters are:
- East Valley Center, 14409 Vanowen St, Van Nuys
- Harbor Center, 957 N. Gaffey St, San Pedro
- North Central Center, 3201 Lacy St, Los Angeles
- South L.A. Center, Chesterfield Square, 1850 W. 60th St., Los Angeles
- West L.A. Center, 11361 W. Pico Blvd, Los Angeles
- West Valley Center, 20655 Plummer St, Chatsworth.