Hiring movers? Here are the basics you should know before signing a contract.
- Research moving companies online
- Ask friends for referrals
- Ask the company for their DOT number. That number can be used to search the company's complaint history and road safety records on the department of transportation website.
- Get a written in-person binding estimate before you hire the mover
- Ask how damage claims are processed and paid. This could help you decide if you want to pay for additional damage insurance coverage.
- Make sure you review the contract before you sign it
- If you don't understand something, don't sign the contract