What was first reported as a possible underground electrical vault explosion that forced the temporary closure of the Westside Pavilion in West Los Angeles Sunday was classified later as something as simple as leaves being set on fire by a discarded cigarette, the Department of Water and Power said.
Firefighters and the Department of Water and Power responded to reports of smoke coming out of a manhole cover near Pico and Westwood boulevards around 9 a.m., the Los Angeles Fire Department said.
The Landmark Theater was evacuated after authorities shut off the power.
The Westside Pavilion was also evacuated but reopened shortly after 1:30 p.m., according to a tweet posted by the shopping mall.
Power was shut down for 25 services near the area as crews worked on vault repairs, the DWP said.
The mall reopened at 1:30 p.m., but mall-goers were asked to avoid the Pico Boulevard entrance.
Power was fully restored at 6 p.m., and no one was injured.