Pursuit Driver Dead After Standoff With SWAT Officers - NBC Southern California
Southern California Pursuits

Southern California Pursuits

Coverage and raw video of Southern California's wild pursuits

Pursuit Driver Dead After Standoff With SWAT Officers

The chase began at about 11 p.m., but a standoff lasted into the early morning Friday in Paramount before the fatal shooting



    Standoff in Paramount Ends in Gunfire

    A pursuit that turned into an hours-long, armed standoff on a Paramount neighborhood street ended early Friday when SWAT team officers moved in and gunfire erupted. (Published Friday, Nov. 1, 2013)

    A pursuit turned into a four-hour armed standoff on a Paramount street that ended with a fatal shooting early Friday when SWAT officers moved in and gunfire erupted, authorities said.

    The subject was rushed away in an ambulance moments after the shots were fired. The driver -- details regarding his identity were not immediately available -- died later Friday morning.

    The chase began shortly before 11 p.m., when the driver pulled a gun on a police officer and drove away in an SUV, according to Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department officials. The initial traffic stop involved a report of speeding.

    Dozens of squad cars joined the slow-speed pursuit, which lasted for an hour along the 91 Freeway toward the north Long Beach area, then along surface streets back to Paramount. The driver pulled over to let two or three other people out of the vehicle, according to authorities.

    Dramatic SoCal Police Pursuits

    [NATL-V-LA] Dramatic SoCal Car Chases Defy Logic, Common Sense
    Southern California is notorious for its police pursuits. Recent months have seen a remarkable assortment of chases, from the infamous "money toss," to the man huffing on colorful balloons as police close in, to the pink-hoodied driver who sprinted from a getaway car while talking on her cell phone. As the moments from eight recent chases captured here illustrate, car chases defy logic and common sense, putting the police and the public at risk.
    (Published Wednesday, Nov. 20, 2013)

    The driver crashed into a tree outside Gaines Elementary School after running over a spike strip. Minutes later, his sport-utility vehicle backed away slightly from the tree and remained there for four more hours as officers surrounded the vehicle with guns drawn.

    A SWAT team also arrived with armored vehicles before gunfire erupted at about 3:30 a.m. SWAT members opened fire after the subject with a gun exited the vehicle, according to the sheriff's department.

    An ambulance arrived moments later and took the gunman to the hospital.

    Roads in the neighborhood were closed Friday morning for the shooting investigation. Gaines Elementary School opened as scheduled, but students were dropped off at a nearby middle school and escorted to their campus.

    The pursuit was the second to occur on Halloween night.


     More Southern California Stories: