An 11-year-old boy accused of stabbing a fifth grade classmate at a Boyle Heights elementary school learned at his first court appearance on Monday that he will remain in juvenile hall during court proceedings.
The boy was arrested by school police Thursday after allegedly stabbing another boy in the back at Bridge Street Elementary. He faces one count each of attempted murder and bringing or possessing a weapon on school grounds, according to Greg Risling of the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office.
The victim, who is 12, according to his family, was taken to Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center, where he was in stable condition.
Local news from across Southern California
Court Commissioner Robert Totten expressed concerns about the boy's home life, questioning if the stabbing was premeditated and stating that the phrase "kill the victim" was used.
Totten also took the public's safety and security into consideration and advised the child to "follow the rules and "go to school." "You know what you need to do. Help your lawyer by behaving," Totten told the boy.
Students and parents at the school said the stabbing took place during recess and the weapon used was possibly a pocket or kitchen knife.
The boy's grandfather, Antonio Gonzalez, told NBC4's sister station Telemundo 52 that his grandson had been bullied by the boy who attacked him, and the two had fought a day before the stabbing.
"My grandson, what he did was turn his back, he didn't want to fight him," Gonzalez said. Counselors were on hand at the school on Friday to provide support to students and staff.
The Los Angeles Unified School District issued the following statement: Student safety is paramount and remains our top priority. While the law enforcement investigation continues, the district is providing support for students and staff, including those who may have witnessed the incident.
The child is expected to return to court on April 18.