Child May Have Eaten Tainted Trick-or-Treat Candy

Police believe the package of Halloween candy had been tampered with

A child trick-or-treating for Halloween may have eaten tainted candy from a Moreno Valley home, police said Sunday.

The child was taken to a hospital about 9 p.m. Saturday after exhibiting symptoms of someone who ingested an illegal drug, according to the Moreno Valley Police Department.

The child was eating a package candy that police believe was collected while trick-or-treating in the 25000 block of Calabria Way, police said.

It was not clear if the candy was laced with a specific drug.

A neighbor of the child said the candy looked like Smarties or Airheads, but he was not sure which candy made the child sick.

There have been no other reports of children becoming sick, but officials urge parent to inspect candy before letting their children eat any.

More Southern California Stories:

Contact Us