Two people were killed Friday morning when a stalled vehicle on the side of the 405 Freeway in Hawthorne was rear-ended by a big rig, according to the California Highway Patrol.
The crash was reported at 2:51 a.m. on the southbound side of the freeway at Rosecrans Avenue, according to CHP Officer Patrick Kimball. The big rig, which was exiting the freeway, overturned after hitting the other vehicle, Kimball said.
Two people were pronounced dead at the scene and two others were hospitalized, said Rey Dong, supervising dispatcher with the Los Angeles County Fire Department.
Local news from across Southern California
The fatal freeway crash was the second in Los Angeles County in about two hours. One person was killed after a head-on collision caused by a wrong-way driver on the 10 Freeway in West LA at about 1:15 a.m., according to the CHP.
Three people were hospitalized after the crash in Santa Monica.
The Rosecrans Avenue off-ramp is closed.
More Southern California Stories:
- One Killed After Wrong-Way Driver Crashes on 10 Freeway
- Santa Ana Immigration Officer Took Cash, Egg Rolls as Bribes, Feds Say
- Caught on Camera: Teens Wanted in Connection With Santa Monica Arson
- Agents Found Evidence of Abuse Months Before Baldwin Park Toddler's Death
- Officer Used Unnecessary Force Before Woman's Death, LAPD Says