Los Angeles County Fire Department

Hollywood Home of Singer Johnny Mathis Burned in Fire

No injuries were reported in the blaze.

A fire broke out at the Hollywood Hills home of singing legend Johnny Mathis Monday night.

"When I got here and saw all the fire engines, I thought, 'Oh, dear,'" Mathis said in an interview with NBC4.

Johnny Mathis, a singer with numerous hits from the 1950s and 1960s, returned from LAX to his $6 million home to find extensive damage, including a glass atrium roof that collapsed in the blaze.

"My whole house is destroyed," Mathis, 80, said. "I've been here over 50 years."

The fire was reported in the 1400 block of Stebbins Terrace and was knocked down in 30 minutes, according to the Los Angeles County Fire Department.

No one was hurt in the fire.

Firefighters knocked down the blaze quickly, working to avoid a 5-foot-deep pool that was hard to see through all of the smoke.

"We certainly could have had firefighters hurt or killed tonight," said Battalion Chief Dean Zipperman.

Among the damage included a painting in Mathis' home that served as the cover art for his hit album "Heavenly."

Firefighters said they believe the fire may have started in the aquarium room, and may have been an electrical fire.

His home was uninhabitable after the blaze.

Mathis said he didn't know if he would rebuild.

Some of Mathis' greatest hits include "Chances Are," "It's Not For Me To Say," and ironically, "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes."

Mathis released a greatest hits album that went on to become one of the most popular albums of all time, spending 490 weeks (more than 9 years) at the top of the Billboard charts, earning it a spot in the Guinness Book of World Records.

Contact Us